Title: COMMUNITY FORESTRY MANAGER
Job Category: Full-time, exempt
Salary Range: $65,000 – $75,000
Benefits: Generous PTO Policy, Employee health insurance coverage, 401k contribution match
Community Greening is an urban forestry non-profit based in Palm Beach County that has planted more than 14,000 trees since 2016. Community Greening is a member of the Arbor Day Foundation’s Alliance for Community Trees, a group of community-based organizations dedicated to the planting and caring of trees. Programming includes tree plantings at parks, schools, churches, right of ways, urban orchards, tree giveaways, Pick Up and Grow and the Youth Tree Team.
Community Greening envisions an engaged community creating sustainable urban green spaces and a vibrant tree canopy to equitably strengthen our environment, economy, society, and health.
Community Greening’s approach is getting local and national recognition including:
- “Outstanding Program of the Year” from the Florida Urban Forestry Council
- “Spirit of the Arbor Day” from the National Arbor Day Foundation
- “Regional Directors’ Honor Award” from the US Fish and Wildlife Service
- “Non Profit of the Year” from the Greater Delray Beach Chamber of Commerce
- “Tree Advocacy Group of the Year” from the Florida Urban Forestry Council
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage long term maintenance schedule, including: developing a schedule and approach for site
assessments of established trees; conducting site assessment and creating work plans; managing logistics and ordering supplies for long term maintenance workdays; training and observing tree technicians and volunteers.
- Manage Tree Technician Supervisor and Tree Technicians; collaborate with Program Coordinator to schedule planting and maintenance activities for the Youth Tree Team.
- Provide technical expertise regarding proper tree care practices, species selection, installation and maintenance, and pest identification, treatment, and prevention.
- Develop tree planting plans and make recommendations for appropriate species and landscape material.
- Participate in tree planting planning meetings and site visits.
- Oversee planting projects in accordance with grants and contracts and long-term maintenance goals, including: supervise staff and provide guidance to volunteers during planting events; monitor progress and results; and create final reports.
- Improve systems and contextual tools used to analyze and maintain the tree inventory, as well as the maintenance and watering schedule.
- Manage the current data related to the tree inventory, maintenance, and environmental benefits.
- Complete data entry of species information and locations for tree plantings into Tree Plotter.
- Spearhead a field-based volunteer program focused on early tree care (from one to ten years after planting) and tree inventory data collection. Develop a robust training program and systems to manage the volunteers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, urban forestry, forestry, horticulture or related discipline, or an equivalent amount of education and experience; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in urban forest management, horticulture, or forestry required; at least 5 years’ experience preferred
- International Society of Arboriculture certified arborist credential required
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record and the ability to pull a trailer
- Knowledgeable about tree species and ecology
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Experience formulating and adhering to set project budgets
- Ability to lift 50 pounds repetitively
- Ability to work in a physically demanding environment that requires repetitive bending, lifting, and shoveling
- Comfortable working outside in all weather conditions
- Willingness and ability to put safety first
- Willingness to work with and lead a team and effectively communicate with other team members
- Ability to be an example of integrity and create a respectful work environment with others
- Ability to effectively and efficiently maintain and complete projects
Please submit resume and cover letter to [email protected]