Now Hiring – Tree Technician (Field)
Community Greening is looking to add a full-time Tree Technician to our team!
Position: TREE TECHNICIAN (Field)
Job Category: Full-time, non-exempt
Work Schedule: Typically Tuesday – Saturday
Starting Compensation: Up to $18/hour
Community Greening is an urban forestry nonprofit based in Palm Beach County that has planted more than 10,500 trees with 5,000 volunteers since 2016. Community Greening is a member of the Arbor Day Foundation’s Alliance for Community Trees, a group of community-based organizations dedicated to the planting and caring of trees. Programming includes: tree plantings at parks, schools, places of worship, residential properties, businesses, and right of ways; urban orchards; tree giveaways; and the Youth Tree Team.
Community Greening envisions an engaged community creating sustainable urban green spaces and a vibrant tree canopy to equitably strengthen our environment, economy, society, and health.
Community Greening’s approach is getting local and national recognition including:
- “Spirit of the Arbor Day” from the National Arbor Day Foundation
- “Regional Directors’ Honor Award” from the US Fish and Wildlife Service
- “Non Profit of the Year” from the Greater Delray Beach Chamber of Commerce
- “Tree Advocacy Group of the Year” from the Florida Urban Forestry Council
Tree Technician is an entry-level position that conducts work mainly in an outdoors setting. A Tree Technician assists with all aspects of the cultivation, maintenance, and delivery of Community Greening’s trees, in the nursery and in the community. On-the-job training is provided for duties and responsibilities.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Tree Care – stake, water, mulch, and prune planted trees; weed, fertilize, prune, and move trees in containers at the nursery; unload and load trees and other supplies at the nursery and at planting sites; plant trees as needed
- Growing Trees – assist in collection and processing of seeds and other plant materials for propagation, performing seed treatments, sowing seeds, and transplanting
- Facilities Maintenance and Improvements – help perform routine upkeep, maintenance, and repairs in nursery
- Volunteer Programs – assist with volunteer groups as needed (3 – 20 people)
- Use and maintain company-owned tools and equipment (including equipment with small engines and vehicles)
- Serve and educate the community with a positive attitude while carrying out the Community Greening mission
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Education: High school degree or GRE, or an equivalent amount of education and experience
- Driving: Valid Florida driver’s license with clean driving record and the ability to pull a trailer or willingness to learn
- Demonstrated interest and some working knowledge of horticulture and/or arboriculture preferred
- Ability to lift 50 pounds repetitively
- Ability to work in a physically demanding environment that requires repetitive bending, lifting, and shoveling
- Comfortable working outside in all weather conditions, Tuesday – Saturday
- Willingness and ability to put safety first
- Willingness to work as part of a team and effectively communicate with other team members
- Ability to be an example of integrity and create a respectful work environment with others
- Ability to effectively and efficiently maintain and complete projects
Please submit resume to [email protected]