Planting your tree is just part of the process.
Proper planning and care before & after your tree is in the ground will help it grow and thrive, allowing it to provide the maximum amount of benefits over its lifetime.
Before You Plant
Here are some key steps before you begin to plant your tree:
- Right Tree, Right Place: Determine the proper species based on your planting site’s conditions (sun/shade/drainage, future growth potential, etc).
- Call Before You Dig: Call 811 to ensure you are clear of all utilities.
- Maintenance & Care Plan: Ensure you have a plan to properly water and care for the tree, especially in its first year to help it become established.
Planting Your Tree
Properly planting your tree is key to ensuring it has the best opportunity to thrive and grow!
Improper techniques, such as planting too high or low, not giving a proper ‘root massage’, or creating a ‘mulch volcano’ can increase the chances of future problems.
Watch this video on proper planting techniques.
After You Plant
Now that your tree is in the ground, you need to ensure it’s receiving the proper care to thrive!
- Mulching: Mulch helps retain water, keeps out weeds, and provides buffer for mower/trimmer damage
- Watering: Newly planted trees need frequent watering in their first year (especially first 6-9 months).
- Pruning/Maintenance: Pruning and other maintenance will help the tree grow properly and lower the risk of future problems.